Isolating the cause of the simspeed bug

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Isolating the cause of the simspeed bug

Howdy!

You may have noticed, that our server is currently offline. But the savegame will continue running on a server from the developers. I was continuing to annoy Deepflame, so he offered to host a server himself with even more profiling possibilities. You can continue building as normal, since he will provide me the latest savegame after we are done with it. Ideally we just run the server until the bug happens once again and return to normal state. Deepflame is confident that he can find the cause after this test.

Server name: Deepflame You will find it in the server browser as usual (not in your favourits though). Please join the server and help us to fight this annoying bug.

The post was edited 2 times, last by shad ().

• Sire strucky hase locked again. I... Meeen. Lockly has struck again. *djss* (my best robin hood men in tights impression)

15-10-2017 18:30

yep the bug is here again.

Population 13ish.
      But this time round sim speed was almost constant of around 0.7. Some spiked for better or worse but overall 0.7.

Maybe some of the non english speaking population doesn't know about building/mining limits. Cos when we share said info they don't get it or don't give a *expletive deleted* to try and get it. then again they wold have been building/mining at a near constant pace to keep that sim speed nice and constant.
    • GeSp_shad wrote:

Server is back in action (no deers)!

Yes, we may found out that the AI causes the problem. DF asked me to test it with animals disabled and see if the freezes still happen.

Great news if that's the main problem!

Deers were rare anyway, and all the things they drop can be bought through the trading post mod, so it's pretty much the least painful thing that could be removed.
    • 16-10-2017 18:15

sim speed bug

population 14/15

With sim speed bug in full swing i can still mine a few stones and it's actually relatively crisp but using any container, "computer says NOoowww". Was planing on trying out more stuff but I was starving and couldn't get bread out the box and dropping inf with active bug is deadly stupid.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tenhur ().

• Athelus and C3ntron pretty much helped confirm my suspicions about large grids spanning multable cells. Doing any work around or on them causes the sim speed to start dropping. Just a swing of the hammer or pick axe can be seen in the read out. Neither of them considers there building very large, and seen as i have been building far bigger in the past with little or no problem i can understand why. Although it's possible I was just as oblivious to the problem as others are now.

I have yet to see what Emma's place does to the server but that's also an interesting one cos it is in just one cel and crazy big.

What's at the root of the problem can only be speculated at. But I have three suspects.

1: inventory management I have seen cases of items being duplicated in my inventory whyle moving them about, hinting at some discrepancies between server and client. This may also be happening invisible in the background while mining.

2: targeting. I have noticed that while mining i could be mining in on spot but the server thought i was still mining where i was a moment ago. Or i have two chest i try to open one but get to see the content of the one I opened before that.

Both point 1 & 2 seam unlikely as to be the main cause as they start happening when sim speed is already low and not before.

3: Structural integrity, this is by far my biggest guess but would explain a lot of what happening. If a grid gets bigger than a single cel and past a certain number of blocks the calculations go up and past a certain threshold. Earthmoving and construction both effect the structure of a building and so forces the server to do calculations. Have more than few people building big and it all comes crashing down.

Whell that's my two cents, hope this helps.
    • Hi Tenhur,

Thanks for summarizing that. However, I noticed that placing voxels with your shovel actually has quite some impact too. Saw simspeed in some cases drop from 1.0 to 0.8<

But your inventory thing I get suspisious about with Shads comment:

GeSp_shad wrote:

I'll forward your post to the devs. Thank you for the report. Logfile is also spitting out lots and lots of "Serializing component null:MyCharacterHandItemsComponent with null entity"-errors. So Maybe, mining causes it.
      This fits my observation that i.e. when you use a torch, it will burn forever and not disappear if you keep carrying it. Also the component duplication I have seen. The targeting issue is more related with simspeed: you are already one block further while server thinks you are still on point 1 while your client already went further with the movement. I have seen this happen with some of my doors as well. And the 'delay' gets worse with low simspeed.
      And when the simspeed bug hits, doors never worked for me. Mining and grabbing stuff does still work.

But what I will do is to test it again early in a morning when I try to be alone to confirm. Then I cut the large grid in two (at the cell border) and see if then simspeed drops from 1.0 to 0.85 (orso).

To be continued ;)
      Communication is the key to everything 8)
    • Tenhur wrote:

Athelus and C3ntron pretty much helped confirm my suspicions about large grids spanning multable cells. Doing any work around or on them causes the sim speed to start dropping. Just a swing of the hammer or pick axe can be seen in the read out. Neither of them considers there building very large, and seen as i have been building far bigger in the past with little or no problem i can understand why. Although it's possible I was just as oblivious to the problem as others are now.

To be honest though, I didn't notice any real changes in simspeed whether I was working on a grid or not. Tested on the server by myself, and it seemed to fall independently of whether I worked on or around a large grid. So I guess if you have server read-outs showing it, then maybe it could be a contributing factor, but not the only thing. Also, doesn't seem linked to the very low server speeds which still seem to just crop up for no real reason.