Community Siege Event

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Community Siege Event

Alright, Steff and I decided to wipe the Land-of-Latency on Thursday, 26.10.2017(?). If you want to finish some buildings and take screenshots of your castles you should have enough time to do this.
      As usual, we provide the savegame in the steam workshop.

In the meantime, I would like you to give some input about the upcoming siege event server.
      For these events we should settle in a predetermined location. For starters I would suggest central Levos. There is plenty of room and even some nice hills for small castles plus a lot of dense iron deposits if needed.

As for the rules: I don't want to spent weeks of planning and building the castles. So there should be some restrictions to it like size of the footprint (for example not larger than 15x15 blocks (225block²)). Also I would promote at least the team leader as moderator to spawn some items and resources if needed so we don't have to spend so much time to grind them.

Please answer the following questions.
      1. How many teams?
      2. How many players per team max.?
      3. What kind of scenario?
        • Castle vs. castle (vs. castle)
        • Castle vs. siege camp (only with 2 teams!)
        • mixed
      4. Max size of the castle's footprint in block² (dunno what's the size of one large grid block is)?
      5. Preparing time? Like 3, 5, 7 days?

Rules for castle siege tournament [WIP]
      Display Spoiler

• Goal
        • Attackers: Destroy the claimblock and replace the flag on top of the keep with your own to capture the castle within X minutes. The flag must not be destroyed by siege equipment but by hand weapons only! If it gets destroyed by artillery, the defenders may replace it.
        • Defenders: Defend the claimblock and the flag. If at least one of it still stands after X minutes, you successfully defended the castle.
      • Design / building restrictions
        • Only one claimblock is allowed and it must not be below ground surface. It must be accessible anytime
        • There must not be doors inside buildings to seperate rooms, but are allowed as entrances
        • No voxel-layers in buildings to increase SI
        • No artifical voxel walls
        • Small moats are allowed
        • Only one drawbridge allowed
        • No stone cubes as walls for buildings allowed (only foundations)
        • max. two layers of walls allowed before you get access to the keep (one cube wall and one thin wall; for example the outer bailey made out of thin stone walls, and the inner bailey around the keep made out of cubes)
        • Keep it real & fair
        • Unlimited resources
        • Predetermined amount of coins to buy additional resources / items, such as iron, ropes, etc. at the trader
      • Combat / Siege
        • You must not use hammers to repair damaged blocks or deconstruct opponent's structures if they are out of the claimed area
        • No clang powered machines
        • You must not eat or use bandages during combat to heal yourself
        • Defenders must not leave the castle to attack or sabotage the attacker's camp or siege equipment on the way to their walls
        • You must not barricade destroyed doors with timbers etc. to prevent the attackers from moving in
        • Both teams shall have one commander with moderation powers to provide their team with reinforcements like bolts, and projectiles

Teams
      Display Spoiler

Ironborn [IRB]
      Clan of Fenrir [COF]

??????
      ShadTenhurp33f
      MaxwellAthelusTrue
      RktheGreatC3ntronRedd
      NinjaPirateSkyriderFrivolous
      SteffSicista (khaver)

Siege equipment shooting range tournament [now live! Ends on Sunday, 29.10.2017]
      Display Spoiler

• Best looking Trebuchet design
      • Best looking catapult design
      • Most efficient design (size, weight, power, range etc.)
      • [Trebuchets / counterweighted machines]: Widest shot with small & large projectile
      • [Torsion spring catapults]: Widest shot with small & large projectile
      • Some sort of accuracy competition
      • Some sort of destruction derby competition (who can tear down a tower first),
      • Competitions are not restricted to trebuchets and catapults only. Build whatever you want (like a battering ram), but NO CLANG ALLOWED!
      The winner of each category gets a prize for the next big wipe, when 0.6 is live!

Castle Siege Tournament [now live! Ends on Sunday, 5.11.2017]

First siege on Ironborn's castle on Monday, 13.11.2017, 21:00 CET!

The post was edited 26 times, last by shad ().

• 1. 4 teams

2. 4 players max

3. Every team build their castle in given time. One by one each team defends their castle from other team members combined. Each siege of a castle will be different day; 4 days of siege if there are 4 castles for example. I would suggest limited death per player but dying without reason happens a lot. So I suggest time limit for the siege.

4. I suggest one game-area with total block count limitation. (One large block is 2.5m cube)

5. 5 days
    • The max size of a team is partly determent by the max number of players allowed on the server, and the number of people singing up to do this. 5-7 people per team seams like a good number to me if you really need one. (don't me ask why)

But still two teams best to me there will probably be enough people for either of the teams not one team ending up unable to play cos there's no one online.

GeSp_shad wrote:

Max size of the castle's footprint in block² (dunno what's the size of one large grid block is)?
      lets stay away from how big a block is, that's a whole other discussion :P Lets be just use grid size. 17x17max seams oke. build a solid block 17x17x5 and your still under 1500 blocks volume.
      About preparations, how a bout 6 days. if you wipe coming saturday. people will have all week to build and we can have at it in the weekend.

And what about the trader, you can spawn and give each team a bunch of diamonds or a gold brick and let them figure out what to do with them. no need to give someone god mode. (offline i could simply craft a gold ingot without having the needed 1000 gold.)
    • I like the idea with the trader. I was actually thinking alike with giving both parties x amount of resources which they have to deal with, but using the trader would make things much easier.
      Also I would add the Ease of Life mod which makes it faster to construct etc.

About the player count: Server should hold up with 25 players on a fresh world. We would just have to test how it behaves with so many players in one location.

I scheduled the wipe for Thursday but that's not a fix date yet because I want to sort out the organisation for the event at first.
      That being said, I'd like to determine how may players we could even get onboard for this and find a date for the siege etc.
      So please feel free to do some adverising and ask some more people to join us. In the end, I ideally would like to have a lineup with teams and members.
      I guess the final number of teams and members depends on the number of players we can hire.

Team Ironborn
      • GeSp. | shad
      • GeSp. | Maxwell
      • RktheGreat
      • NinjaPirate
      • Steff

The post was edited 2 times, last by shad ().

• You are already part of the Circle.

Requesting building permit for for mountain top, 3blok thick walled, fortress with NO doors. 8)

I'd say limit building to flat ground only. It's not whiteout reason castles where build on hills and the like, It gives and tremendous advantage. There are some nice hills I'd like to use but unless there's one for everyone it's a bit unfair. So to keep it fair I would say flat ground only. That still doesn't (and shouldn't) stop any one from digging a moat. The other option is the Admins pick out a number of spots where the teams should build.

I see the iron born are already (forming) a team and even though I'd consider it a honer to stand abreast with them lets see if this works. Who's willing to form a team with me?

The Circle. (I don't like big pretentious names)
      We are not just a team we are the circle, it all starts and ends right here.

Locking at :whistling:

Athelus
      Khaver
      Emma
      C3ntron
      Thales
      Skyrider
    • Set up
      Siege camp against castle (each team has a castle and a siege camp near the enemy).
      The siege will take place at a predefined time for like 2h.) Each castle gets sieged in turns, not at the same time.

Winning
      Capture the Flag on top of the keep.

Spawning for the defenders
      Inside the guards house. (Should be marked somehow), no shooting out of the guard house not shooting in the guard house. Not adjacent to the Keep (protectors have to take the same way into the keep as the attackers do. (Reason is that game play would otherwise would be halted inside the keep and the

Spawning for the attackers
      Inside the siege camp and later (if possible spawn point by the captured gate house)

Building side
      - No mountain top or on the side of a mountain buildings. (No way to have access with siege weapons or only one side to attack from would be frustrating and not fun to play.) Best would be the hills that are on the map prepared for castle building.

- No extreme floor level rising with soil or stone blocks. But leveling and small adjustments or digging some annoyances away is fine. No big underground build tho. (Secret tunnels are allowed tho.)

Castle build
      Should be comparable to a realistic Castle.

Keep
      The Keep should also have outer wall thickness no more than 1big stone block plus one stone wall. (Exceptions are for layers built into voxel's and some decorative stuff). The
      inside of the keep can have a nice design but the purpose should not be
      to make a defensive design towards the inside of the keep. ( Once they breached the Keeps door/wall the siege is more or less over). The height of the keep should be limited to a realistic size. (No fantasy overly high building)

Walls and Gate houses
      Max. 2 Wall perimeters with door-houses. (Main keep door excluded). Labyrinth concept.
      Wall thickness no more than one big stone block plus small stone wall (for decorative purposes). The first layer can be bigger (floor/terrain adjustment)
      Wall height should be kept realistic. Like max. 3 stone blocks high in the access-able areas. For steep cliff-sides its as soon as the plateau its reached max. 3 high.

Max. 1 Drawbridge in the entire build. (Game play would be frustrating otherwise)
      Artificial Trench is allowed only for the drawbridge area. (Not around an entire Wall (Not realistic but game play would be halted too much. Nearly impossible to pass with siege weapons)

Towers and outkreep's
      Amount of Towers on the castle should be kept to a minimum. Like 2 small ones for each gatehouse and then per main corner a big tower. Smaller platforms that are not much higher than the walls for anti siege weapon purpose are allowed. (Towers have to be hollow inside, same rules applies as walls as the keep). Keep can also have edge towers, but should not be much higher than the keep roof.
      Height of the Towers should be as much as needed (Means not higher than keep towers.)

Other stuff
      Decorative wooden and stone buildings are allowed if not too excessive. And not be higher than two stories. Church tower allowed.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Silentfighter89 ().

• Where did this all come from? Your work or Ctrl-C Ctrl-V. I agree with most of it. except for this part.

Silentfighter89 wrote:

Spawning for the defenders
      Inside the guards house. (Should be marked somehow), no shooting out of the guard house not shooting in the guard house. Not adjacent to the Keep (protectors have to take the same way into the keep as the attackers do. (Reason is that game play would otherwise would be halted inside the keep and the
      Spawning outside the place your trying to defend?

Can you see this happening? "Excuse me, coming through" *sigh* "guys there's a great big flipping ram in front of the gate how am i supposed to get in?". "No don't follow me in, it's not your keep". Other guy. "Not yet maybe" *katjung* "BLeghg" arrow in the back.

Wold a 1 min re-spawn timer not be a much better solution.

Or, no attacking the rear of a building and make the defender entry on the back of the building.
    • I like the idea of capture the flag. Though, you cannot grab it if the area is still claimed. How about the flag is the claimblock which must be placed on the highest level of a tower / the keep and when it goes down the caste is conquered?

Building on the predetermined castle spots should be okay, but each castle is restricted to one claimblock -> one area only.
      Besides this, and the predetermined resources you have available for your build, I would keep the restrictions simple:
      • walls not more than one block thick + decoration
      • not more than one drawbridge
      • doors only on outter walls (no indoor doors)
      • claimblock has to be be visible / outside
      • no dirt-layer cheating towers etc.
      • keep it real and fair: try to build something realistic

Respawn
      I can't change the respawn timer on the fly but I can look into the files and see if I can change it and upload a script.
    • @Tenhur, I wrote it down, software didn't work in the Office so I had time :-D. It's from the experiences I gathered during the sieges from KEEN's streams.

Tenhur wrote:

Can you see this happening? "Excuse me, coming through" *sigh* "guys there's a great big flipping ram in front of the gate how am i supposed to get in?". "No don't follow me in, it's not your keep". Other guy. "Not yet maybe" *katjung* "BLeghg" arrow in the back.

Tenhur wrote:

Wold a 1 min re-spawn timer not be a much better solution
      I didn't know that's possible. So yes, let's do it with a timer then, but please only during the duration of the sieges. (Server restart before siege is anyway a good idea.)

GeSp_shad wrote:

Building on the predetermined castle spots should be okay, but each castle is restricted to one claimblock -> one area only.
      Please no. Sometimes the hills are placed so awkward in between the area borders that this would be very annoying to build. And the outer walls can have in my opinion a good size. But I agree that the KEEP (The main part of the castle) should be kept very small. Otherwise I would say use the castle hills as limiting factors. So you are not allowed to build much over it.
      And you as Admin can choose which hills are of limit (I know there are quite some large ones.)

(The castle) Support houses and fields to feed the army can still be build outside.

Well the capture the flag thing is more meant a bit symbolic, I mean it would be awesome if we could work with a claim block on top of the Keep (not tower). But I'm not sure what and what not you can do during contest time.
    • I love the concept and count me in. Agree what is written before: not too small teams, as online-time of people (read: myself) is quite unpredictable, so not that you end up with a 2 to 7 battle.

@Tenhur: count me in ;)

Regarding capture the flag: can't you make a timber with a house flag that someone can carry? ;) Though you are not allowed to interact with certain things in controlled area, I believe you can pick up and drag around (with rope) mobile grids.
      Communication is the key to everything 8)
    • Just my $0.02: No hammers or mallets on either team during the battle!

As for needing more than one claim zone: I think we should still only be allowed one claimed zone. You can still build walls outside of it - you're still controlling where the enemy has to concentrate effort or expend resources trying to pass. And they won't have hammers to deconstruct it. You won't be able to *lock* the doors but they'll still need to clear space for siege works if they want them, or make their own gap somewhere else if they want a different approach!
    • Me and Shad have been talking for some ideas, Like have it Tournament style 4-6 teams and all have to siege/be sieged by the other teams.
      for the finals maybe have the team with most siege wins defend and the other team siege them.
      Or a coin toss for the finals which team does what :P
      Do you think honor keeps them in line? Do you think it's honor that's keeping the peace? It's fear! Fear and Blood!
    • Rkthegreat wrote:

Me and Shad have been talking for some ideas, Like have it Tournament style 4-6 teams and all have to siege/be sieged by the other teams.
      for the finals maybe have the team with most siege wins defend and the other team siege them.
      Or a coin toss for the finals which team does what
      So if i read this right. One big FistF**kFest, but,, with a twist, the winner gets Dogpiled by the losers. So we all get cornholled one way or an other.

Edit: In retrospect not very PG, but i had fun writing that sentence so gone leaf it as is.
    • Tenhur wrote:

Rkthegreat wrote:

Me and Shad have been talking for some ideas, Like have it Tournament style 4-6 teams and all have to siege/be sieged by the other teams.
      Or a coin toss for the finals which team does what
      So if i read this right. One big FistF**kFest, but,, with a twist, the winner gets Dogpiled by the losers. So we all get cornholled one way or an other.
      Edit: In retrospect not very PG, but i had fun writing that sentence so gone leaf it as is.
      Yeah not at the same time though xD, cus that would be awfull
      We sorta try and plan the matches... between teams
      Do you think honor keeps them in line? Do you think it's honor that's keeping the peace? It's fear! Fear and Blood!