Fast Travel, to be or not to be

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Fast Travel, to be or not to be

Fast Travel Disabled 17
        Yes (1) 6%
        No (1) 6%
        Don't Care (0) 0%
        Willing to try, if not works enable FT again (15) 88%
      JCDC offered an idea for our next save, to imrpove RP and trade and make the world feel more alive than just people hiding in their little corner.

No Fast Travel enabled, so yay or Nay on that. Or maybe we try and enable it if it doesnt really work.

(looking for a way to have a mod to increase stamina regen to superhigh on roads though and maybe travel speed also)
      Do you think honor keeps them in line? Do you think it's honor that's keeping the peace? It's fear! Fear and Blood!
    • For the stamina you could edit the values on the stamina drain and recover tho that would be global and no way to toggle for roads. But a little upgrade to stamina recovery would be nice as it drains way too fast and takes ages to get back to 100.
    • Im (obviously) keen on this. primarily just because it will be different.

what im hoping will happen is people will set up communities near to the spawn and interact more. instead of setting off for their favorite feature on the far side of the map. however, it will need people to RP a bit and get into the spirit of it.

I think given that some areas have no iron, some have no copper, some have no flax some have no food etc. that more trade will happen.

ALSO, and this might not be popular, the bank should skip this iteration. i know! the horror! but there is no point doing this and promoting trade and making resources harder to get if everyone starts with bundles of steel and flax and food etc.

The starting point should be somewhere half way between one pole and the equator. that is the best average distance to all resources.
    • The Bank was alrdy not gonna continue btw, to much work for Shad, also the copying with the small grids which wont copy always.

Also we thought about having 2 safe spawn locations, maybe in both Poles or any other zones on opposite of the globe.

also the mod by peaceman which requires small stones for stone blocks is considered, making stone builds just a little more valuable and harder.
      Do you think honor keeps them in line? Do you think it's honor that's keeping the peace? It's fear! Fear and Blood!
    • I follow the motto: if you didnt try, you should not complain. So lets give it a try.

It will most definetly change the entire dynamics of playing on the server, as you loose much more time with ‘traveling’. And for making builds, that always feels horrible.

Regarding trading: I dont know if that will happen. Perhaps in the beginning, but difficulty ofcourse is also that people you want to work with, have to be online.

Agree with Maxwell that road blocks and such would be nice, however there also comes the same problem: people being online to help you/pay to. So... more mods needed? ;)

My wish and shortlist (of mods)
      + More stamina on roads as compensation for FT
      + Right-of-passage diplomacy: open only certain gates or doors
      + Pay and auto expire for right-of-passage (while toll asker is offline)
      Communication is the key to everything 8)
    • Rkthegreat wrote:

The Bank was alrdy not gonna continue btw, to much work for Shad, also the copying with the small grids which wont copy always.

Also we thought about having 2 safe spawn locations, maybe in both Poles or any other zones on opposite of the globe.

also the mod by peaceman which requires small stones for stone blocks is considered, making stone builds just a little more valuable and harder.
      That bank thing is new to me but no surprise. My bank account expired past Sunday any way.

The pools are good spawn locations cos people will have to travel away from there to find stuff to build with. So were not all in one spot. Plus nobies will come acros the iron in the steps witch cuts down on the where do i find iron questions.

Had to look up that mod, looks promising, might be fun. But will we still be using the sandstone mod then? These two might not be that compatible.
    • Yeah, the bank will not come back into the next world.
      I don't get the idea behind the toll booths. If FT is disabled completely, you don't - even - can't use roads, since, well, there will be no FT.
      I think we should not disable the FT completely, but highly decrease the travel distance and increase the cooldown, so you can still FT to near areas but not throgh the entire continent like it is now.
      I like the idea of hiding claimed areas on the map, that was mentioned in the discord for various reasons, but I don't think it will really stop grievers from doing their thing. If we just use one safe spawn zone, the nearest castle/town/whatever is most likely to be discovered some time and will be the most common target. But that's just a theory :/ . Anyway, I still think we should not just use one safe zone but two or three, so that players have at least a bit of a choice where they want to start, and don't need to walk hours to get to the desert, just to settle there, or if they don't have any interest in that kind of RP/trading stuff and just want to build.

EDIT: Some thoughts, that I already put on discord:
      Actually, I don't think removing the ability to FT will change anything to RP and trading, it will just make it harder. Most people will still try to get all the nessecary resources by themselves because they can and it's easier.The only thing trading, that made it actually useful was when the deer spawn thing was messed up and I was more or less the only one who had access to pelts. I think, that players who are the only ones who have access to specific resources and technologies like gold and minting, is currently the only and most reasonable way to increase RP and trading.

The post was edited 5 times, last by shad ().

• Yeah maybe limiting the FT to like 2-4 blocks in a kingdom is a better idea.

For the multiple safe zones i suggest making them an open market square (the place to meet up for trading), maybe 1 for every 2 region somewhere on the border?
      So with multiple spawn areas people can easily find their own spot or settle near the trade area, also people know where to ambush traders hehehe (Wink Wink Sicista)
    • I am heavily against a combination of no or limited FT AND more than 1 default spawn/safe zone.

if you put spawn zones on opposite sides of the map, those groups will probably never meet, never travel to each others areas. there is little to no point them being on the same server together.

With one start zone, people CAN go off into the distance and be hermits if they want to. so there is no requirement to stay near others. but at least that will be naturally encouraged and also, all the new/random players who join will not be randomly split between 2 locations. we got to remember that most players are relatively new, and most of those will have no idea about this decision making process. they wont know which area to spawn in or understand the difference if there are any. there should just be 1 place they all spawn.

i think you have FT with multiple spawn zones, or no FT and one spawn zone for what i am suggesting to have a hope of working.
    • I know what you want to achieve, JCDC, but that's probably not going to be the best way for all players. I was just thinking to make a safe zone in every continent and declare one of them to a RP continent, where all those players, who wants to do that stuff spawn there and build a community. Everyone else, who does not want to participate on the community and/or does not want to build in this location can spawn in a different location from the start, without the need to walk for hours at first. I guess this will either just upset people or make them leave the server immediately.
    • This isnt even about enforcing RP in any way. its literally that i think it might develop a bit if everyone is there and cant just TP away.

if there is a spawn on each continent everyone will just be so spread out i dont see there being a high enough chance of this working to even try it. everyone will be just as spread out as they are now, but with no FT to visit each other. there will be next to no interaction between the different zones.
    • hmm, i think it will be better having multiple spawn areas on the planet, but i dont think we should have ft enabled and just reduced.
      i do agree that it should not take 2h to travel from a pole to a desert, but 10 - 15min is also so fast, that the planet feels very small.
      Also, I always dont really like to skip such a lot of the planet and landscapes, just to quickly arrive at another spot.
      I would rather prefer an increased stamina, so you still have to walk all the roads, but it will be easier.

the toll booth idea was rather something like blocking an important pass surrounded by mountains, like it often is at the borders of continents, so either ways you would have to pay toll to get through, or walk a very long way around the mountains. that would be an occasion where it would make sense.

although people would need to have some reason to cross that place ...